This is a question I get asked a lot, “how do you know what the right size chandelier is for a dinging table?”
Well there are several ways to determine this and every designer has their own answer, so here is mine!
1. The chandelier should be about half the width/diameter of the dining table. For example, if your table is 48″ round, the chandelier should be 24″diam.
2. The size of the room is also a factor:
- If the room is around 10′ x 10′ the fixture should be 17″ to 20″ wide
- If the room is around 12′ x 12′ the fixture should be 22″ to 27″ wide
- If the room is around 14′ x 14′ the fixture should be 24″ to 32″ wide
3. The chandelier should be mounted around 30″ above the table’s surface so no heads get bumped.
4. I also recommend that the total wattage of all the bulbs to be between 200 watts and 400 watts to provide sufficient lighting, don’t you want to see the food you are eating?
The one above is mounted a little too high for me.
I hope this helps!
If you need help designing your own dining room, contact me!